Tuesday, February 5, 2008

If Burgess Meredith and Britney Spears had a love child . . . .

If Burgess Meredith and Britney Spears had a love child . . .
So I went to a "mega-church" this weekend, for the first time in quite a while and its got me thinking about all kinds of things. Having been way more involved in church politics than I would like to admit, I am still trying to repent of some of the awful things that I have done in my past when handling church business. With that said, I am always trying to chew over things more so I no longer make the same mistakes and sometimes I think pointing out positives and negatives can really create some good dialogue. So here it is – A review, or a good chewing over if you will. Feel free to chime in

The church was in Cincinnati – that's the only info that's relevant - some of you that know me might know which church it is, but for the purpose of this discussion, its not necessary

The good:
1.The music was excellent – as I would expect it to be when you can pull from such a big talent pool

2.The service featured creative sketches that were both funny and entertaining – Its great to keep people laughing and to not always be serious. I think this helps people stay focused. If the church needs anything, it needs to remember how to laugh

3.Multitude of programs and small groups – If you are willing to call someone or speak out, it would be easy to get involved. There is something for everyone – and for any focus you may want

4.The atmosphere – It was electric. It was Super Bowl Sunday. People were tailgating in the church parking lot. Free Hot Dogs, Free Coffee. A lot of young, good-looking professionals. Hipsters volunteering everywhere. People that look like me, or at least, look as hip as I want to feel (this truly is a compliment)

Rather than saying bad, or the bad, I am just going to ask questions. Questions I would ask of any church, for the most part, and questions that I believe should be asked. *No church is perfect – sorry to break that to ya, but considering its full of ruffians like me and you, what could we possibly expect?

Questions:
At one point should a church spend its money on itself rather than on the needs of its community, city, nation and world?

Are custom football jerseys at $300 a pop necessary for one Sunday?

Is it important to buy 10,000 people who come to your church a hot dog (presumably mostly from an affluent neighborhood) rather than buying 10,000 hotdogs for people who wouldn't otherwise eat today?

Could we set a better example in spending money on others than spending money on ourselves?

Are too many churches hiding behind the idea "that we are doing this to save souls" to justify spending money on themselves and their congregants?

Does the parable of the rich man and the widow have something to say about this (Mark 12:41-43), or does the multitude of deeds a large church can do put them in God's positive column, even if they are still spending lots on themselves?

Can we preach about the difference about knowing God's will and doing God's will and mention tithing to the church in the same message?

Can the cornerstone of a message's gimmick/theme revolve around the identity of a head pastor – or more simply stated, should we make a big deal about who the head pastor is at all times (or even more simply, can you lead a mega-church and not come off as arrogant)?

What is more important, the amount of money you take in, or the amount of people that attend? Or, how do we measure success?

Just because someone attends the "god-show" are we to assume they took anything from it?

Does spectacle equal experience?

Is it a mega-churches responsibility to lead the way in recycling by Serving God and Saving the Planet?

Does a large church have the responsibility to serve fair trade coffee so they can look the attendees in the eye and say "this cup of coffee did not oppress anybody" even if it means they have to spend a little more? Or is coffee unnecessary anyway?

Are gadgets God-approved spending, since after all, it gives people a better experience?

Do people attend because its God, or because its cool?

Is a mega-church a gateway, and can they only take you so far?

When you focus on toys and gadgets and gimmicks is it still possible to focus equally, or even more so, on God?

Is a mega-church like a Wal-mart to your local mom and pop shop?

I honestly don't have a lot of answers to these questions. I have heard stock answers to many of them and have spoken passionately about others, but either way, I think they are worth asking. I cannot condemn any church. I have my thoughts and opinions.

No comments: