Monday, December 3, 2007

I don’t proofread

I am a victim of our culture - the one you and I created. My lack of blog writing is not really a lack of something to say; rather it is a reprieve I give myself for working too hard. When faced with the prospect of writing a blog, I simply determine that after my eight hour day (one in which I did maybe 15 minutes of real work), I deserve a break. Why do you and I do this? Burdened with an eight to ten hour day, why do we come home and produce stats like the average American watches 6 hours of television a day? Have I ever mentioned that consumerism is ruining America?


How do we sell something? Simple. Convince someone they are not complete unless they have our product. This ideal has had a similar effect on our productivity. Ad after ad after ad tells us that we deserve a break. First it was a Snickers, and then it was a time share, but either way, we all bought the lie.



Didn't the Lord intend for us to have a Sabbath? Surely, but that was based on a six day work week and did not account for a six hour mini-Sabbath every evening.



What was the point of Sabbath in the first place? A day devoted to the Lord, in worship and praise. And wasn't this needed after a week of not only serving your job and your family, but serving and loving the people God intends for us to care for? Even after we punch the time card?



My birthright has put me in a great position. I will never know what it feels like to not afford to eat. Granted, I have squandered away great amounts of cash, but I will never end up starving to death. My friends and family would not allow it. My birthright. To make matters worse, this birthright put me into good schools, and with a little bit of brain power from God, I have never had to study a day in my life – nor did most of my friends. Why do I mention all of this? Because it's a blessing, and a curse. Never did I learn perseverance. My life made things easy. Never did I learn to really work. I never had to. Add this to our ad campaigns, and I have bought in completely.



Do I sound like a self-loathing American, completely ungrateful and unaware of how good I have it? Probably, but that's not my intention. I am lucky to even be in the position to complain freely about how easy things have been. My point is this: I am complacent. You are complacent. This country is complacent. We are not fighting a bigger battle. We live to serve ourselves. We give this attitude to our churches and our church members and then wonder why this world is constantly hurting. And it starts with me (you).



How do we change? Is more productivity the answer? What would be productive? What should I do tonight instead of watching Monday Night Football? Should I have skipped the blog and instead found a way to love someone who needed to be loved?

No comments: