Tuesday, December 4, 2007

2 for tuesday

My head is stuffy, congested, clogged, or whatever word may fit for that gunk that's in my head. It certainly is that time of year. I am not sure how it is for you, but I feel like I spend have of my work day dodging people's sneezes and coughs, and I am afraid to touch anything after anyone else. Purell's stock will be rising due to the extreme purchases of hand sanitizer I will be making. Yet with all my precautions, I am still mucked up. Sometimes it seems there is nothing I can do to avoid the sickness.


Certainly, this applies to the seasonal colds and flu, but I am making the rather obvious association to the things in life that clog our minds. Not original I know, but it's early for me and it's the best I can do. I am fully saturated with gross thoughts. Rage, lust, greed and pride are the first few things that come to mind. When I think about my weekend, I am not making plans to make the world better, rather I am thinking about the next beer or two (or four or eight or . . .) that I am going to have with my homies. Is being social bad? No, but in temperance. (See my previous post).



How do we avoid these temptations? Can I blame all forms of media? Or the devil? Or a bad upbringing? Or am I to blame?



I cannot stand it when people give the whole "the devil made me do it" speech. Do I believe in the devil and think he is out to get us? Well, Yes. But he is a far too easy scapegoat for personal responsibility. Without getting all Joel Osteen here (Yikes), we do have the power to choose and it starts with really small choices.



I think most of us choose what's ordinary. But Jesus, he was extraordinary. That's one of the many reasons his message has lasted so long. Sure, he was the Son of God, but his radical love was extraordinary. It was different. Unlike anything in human history. Respecting and loving the poor and the disenfranchised and the sick and all of us with stuffy heads.



When we live ordinary lives, we get stuffy.



What does ordinary look like?



Ordinary looks like binge drinking at a frat or sorority house. Ordinary looks like cheating on a test. Ordinary is taking credit and pointing out every little thing that you do to bring glory to yourself. Ordinary is sleeping around and forming false senses of love. Ordinary is avoiding situations that make you uncomfortable, even when it leaves your friends and families hurting. Ordinary is spending your money and time indulging yourself because you think you deserve it. Ordinary is ignoring people who need help around you. Ordinary looks a lot like sin.



So what is our spiritual Afrin? Do something extraordinary. It may be that simple of an idea, but certainly a harder practice.

No comments: