Friday, April 25, 2008

If I had the time to sing another, I'd sing the types of songs you'd like to hear. . .

Why are people without jobs still glad its friday?

Even though they are probably considered the best band of all time, I still don't think the Beatles get enough credit for their song writing abilities.

Confession: I once went to a Friday's with my good friend Ken and we ordered Swirl Margaritas (Check that: I actually ordered them saying "We will each have a raspberry swirl margarita") and I am pretty sure everyone at the bar thought we were gay - and I am pretty sure we deserved that. (PS. I am not actually gay). This moment might only be eclipsed by the time my friends and I got a little tipsy in Montreal (maybe I mean drunk) and got in a circle under the guise that we were trying to impress 2 chicks, and sang "Hero" by Enrique Iglesias at the tops of our lungs. Because I want to incriminate, the culprits were me, Brian, John, Eric, Ken and Pat. Why do I mention all of this? All men have less than masculine moments. Sorry to burst your bubble. I had to get this out. I have no shame in it (well maybe a little, but thats mostly because its pathetic I knew the words to an Enrique Iglesias tune, one of the many things I will need to account myself to God for).

I went to see Derek Webb in concert last night. It took place in an old church building - the setting was beautiful. There were only about 150 people there, and the concert was so intimate. For those of you that don't know, Derek Webb is a singer/songwriter whose lyrics irritate a lot of people. He is frank, and he calls people change our world. He sings about God (and his struggle with belief) but he would scoff if you compared him to a christian. Nothing about this concert felt "christian:" No altar calls, hand raising or amens (THANK GOD!). He was witty, poignant, and he sounded great. Acoustic guitar and a voice. It doesn't get much better, and yet, only 150 people showed up. People would not know good music if it smacked them in the face. When we live in a world where Chingy sells more albums then Derek Webb, something is TERRIBLY wrong. Check him out. Noteworthy Tracks: A New Law, Nothing is Ever Enough, Wedding Dress, Mockingbird, Better than wine . . .

There are 27 million people living in SLAVERY around the world, more than during the Civil War - and YOU don't care enough - nor do I, but I am trying. But we are the problem. What we buy, how we respond, and our greed - thats what is causing it.

If you live in Cincinnati, are you with me on this one: The only thing that really makes Chad Johnson impressive now, is that he got a whole city to turn on him in less than a year - that simply outweighs his amazing talent on the field.

My job is ludicrous. Who schedules a 2 hour meeting starting at 3 on a Friday? I am feeling like one of the 27 million, but thats a whole different kind of slavery.

www.mentalfloss.com One of my favorite blogs

http://blog.beliefnet.com/godspolitics/ Another amazing blog

Any feedback? Hit me up

No comments: