Thursday, January 3, 2008

Movies

I am just going to do an off-the-cuff list of the nine best and worst movies of all time that I have seen. If you take issue with what I say here, let me know. It will be fun to argue about it. These are in no particular order and are numbered only to help me count. And again, I did this list in about ten minutes. And again, (again) when I say best, I take a movie within its genre, and artistic value is not the only thing I consider



WORST

1. Date Movie - Almost didn't include this because I can't believe anyone evere made this movie. Its offensive and never funny.

2. Pirates of the Caribbean 2 (Dead Man's Chest?) - After the first movie was so strong, this movie was awful. It was indulgent in all the wrong places, and the movie really has no plot.

3. Superman Returns - The worst lead actor ever - had the emotions of a monolith. Christopher Reeves was offended and who ever thought a Superman would be worse than number 3.

4. Batman and Robin - Thanks to my buddy Ken I have come to loathe the terrible dialogue in this movie. Cheesy one-liners has a whole new meaning

5. History of Violence - I have never walked out of a movie and not been able to remember anything about it - until this one. And there were even gratuitous sex scenes

6. Stealing Harvard - I love Jason Lee, but this comedy had no jokes. Tom Green is even more annoying than usual.

7. Star Wars 2: Attack of the Clones - I was never a big Star Wars fan, but you have to be pretty into it to understand or care what happened here - not to mention the fact that Annakin's acting is painful. Chewbacca conveys more emotion

8. The Matrix Sequels - The first was amazing. I still have no idea what happened in the next two, nor did it make me want to know. Keanu is more lame than usual, and there are far too many side characters that really mean nothing

9. Catwoman - Bad acting, bad costume, no plot, not even good special effects

10.



BEST

1. Crash - Intriguing, made you actually consider your own behavior and is one of the few movies that actually may make a difference on how you view the world.

2. As Good As It Gets - An amazing love story about messy people

3. Black Snake Moan - Warped and demented in all the right ways. Two people bringing each other to redemption. Great look, dialogue and feel

4. 40 Year Old Virgin - Dirty humor that is also intelligent. Real characters that never seem inauthentic. These guys are just like your friends

5. Braveheart - So maybe Mel loses his accent, but every man wants to be William Wallace. I am almost started another Revolution because I was so inspired by his cry for "Freedom"

6. Breakfast Club - Authenticity. and a great glimpse of my early years. Captured my teen angst perfectly

7. 300 - Vicualy stunning - manly quotient - see Braveheart

8. Good Will Hunting - Such great speeches about love and life.

9. Clue - an old school favorite and I was running out of time. How can you not enjoy this movie?

10.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Date movie is only number one because you never saw "Delta Farce", (and really anything starring Larry the Cable Guy)...