Wednesday, January 2, 2008

I am against picketing, I am just not sure how to show it

Its already time to be thinking about this next election. I would urge you really get involved in whats going on. True, Jesus came to establish his own kingdom, but we currently live in a world that is ruled by a government. It is our call to be a part of bringing God's kingdom into this world. Government, love it or hate it, affects our world. We need to think about these issues. Read, watch, learn. Do not just vote Republican because you think thats what "christians" do. Do not just vote Democrat because the Republicans are evil. Do not vote what will only benefit you, even if it means the oppression of millions. A lot of politicians are crooked, on both sides. Who has the greatest moral character? Who will do whats best for human rights and whats best for America? If these are different, how do we balance them? Should I vote for something that may not be great for me, but better for most people? I do not know, but I am trying to find out.



I recommend reading God's Poitics by Jim Wallis. You will probably love it or hate it, say its biased or fair, but either way, it makes a few good points.



And check out www.dehp.net/candidate It helps you determine which candidate best fits your beliefs. Do not just give gut reactions to the questions, think about the issues, read about the issues and ask, how does this relate to God's kingdom, if at all?



Interestingly enough, my two highest scoring candidates were split, one a republican and one a democrat. Interesting.



Just spitballin' here but how can someone be pro-life and pro-war? or pro-death penalty?

How can someone be pro-union and wear clothes made by sweatshop labor?

How can someone be anti-trade with eastern countries, anti-alasken drilling, yet drive a car that gets 2 miles to the gallon and oppose alternative energies?

How can I have fit into all of these categories at one stage of my life?

How can you even begin to simplify these issues into one stupid question?

No comments: